Saturday, February 14, 2009

Georgia on my mind


Did I sense, when I stopped to take this shot, that someone else had already captured it?

Ghost Ranch is in Abiquiu about an hour from here. The 21,000 acres that comprise Ghost Ranch were part of a land grant to Pedro Martin Serrano from the King of Spain in 1766. It was the site of many hangings and is haunted by those spirits; thus, its name Rancho de los Brujos (ranch of the ghosts).

Georgia O'Keeffe visited Northern New Mexico in 1917. Like me, she fell in love with it. In 1934 she made it her summer home. Private and reclusive, she spent her time hiking, exploring, and painting. When her husband Alfred Stieglitz died in 1946, Georgia moved to Ghost Ranch permanantly. During the last years of her life she lived in Santa Fe where, when she died at age 99, she was quoted as saying, “I find people very difficult”.

There is more good information at the PBS American Masters site about Georgia O'Keeffe.

No comments: