Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A new chapter in my biography

Lumberton, New Mexico is five miles from the Colorado border, three hours from Albuquerque.







I’m leaving two weeks from today for Lumberton to teach Jicarilla Apache kids. I heard about the job while I was visiting Hawaii this summer. The more I thought about it, the more it appealed to me. After lots of conversation and research, they offered and I accepted. St. Francis School's web site says this about its history.

Around the 1890's the Catholic Church began a mission in Lumberton. It was one of many small towns in Northern New Mexico that began to build Catholic community. Fr. Antonio Jouvenzeau ministered to the missions from Parkview to Farmington. In 1910 the Franciscan Fathers took over all the missions in the area. Around 1915 the Fathers built the first school house. The two story structure housed grades 1-8. By 1920 the school was staffed by Franciscan sisters. Until three years ago, sisters of various orders have taught and run the school. The population of the school and enrollment has changed very little since that time. Enrollment fluctuates between 80 - 110 students.


Wish me luck. Come and visit me. I’ll be home at Christmas.

6 comments:

Trisha said...

Hello, Colleen. Do Mi Stauber gave me your blog site. I am a teacher in a small school in Eugene,Oregon. I have 12 kids each year, ages 5-8. I'll be interested to see what it's like teaching on the res. Maybe your kids would like to be pen pals with mine. Or e-pals is even better because you get the responses right away--if you have access to a computer there, of course. --Trisha Whitney

Ellen said...

Colleen, I'm so proud of you! Change is good! You'll be a fabulous teacher; you're so good with kids. I can't wait to read all about your adventures. You go, girl. Ellen

George said...

Colleen,
What a wonderful and exciting experience this will be. I think the children will be very fortunate to have someone of your caliber. There is such a need for this and you are the perfect person in my opinion.
Hope to see you when you get home for visits!
-- George R.

Colleen Dunham said...

Trisha ~ If you have 12 kids, ages 5-8, you are about to become my new best friend!

Molly said...

I'm so proud of you Coll. You are my hero.

Best of luck.

Molly

Ed said...

Colleen - Ditto what Molly said.

All the Best,

Ed