Friday, August 8, 2008

Eight days here



Len, my principal, met me at the airport last week. We dodged dozens, if not hundreds, of deer and elk on the long ride from Albuquerque to Lumberton after dark. Cindy, a fellow teacher, showed me to my room with a pile of clean sheets and blankets. Ahh ...

Scroll up to the picture in the top right. That's my bedroom window in my new home. The house was once a seminary, I'm told. It was built around 1915 and is partially constructed of adobe.

This is a stunning and exotic place, a long way from Seattle. Sketchy Internet service (which is why this is my first post), no potable water except for what's hauled in by the Army, but lots of sky.

School starts Tuesday. There will be seven teachers, including one arriving from Elmira, NY, for about 80 kids.

2 comments:

Montana Mary said...

Glad you arrived safely! Will you be able to have visitors?

Colleen Dunham said...

Absolutely! There is room in the house, there is a nice Best Western a few miles down the road, and there are cute B&Bs in Chama, another nearby town.