Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Homesteading

by Simon

My great-great grandfather, Jose E. Gomez, Sr., was born in 1855. As a teenager he came out to New Mexico from Colorado, looking for land to homestead from the public domain that was free to be worked on. In order to keep the land, he had to live on the property for five years, build a cabin or a house, build fences, and improve the property by plowing, clearing, and planting. When five years were over, government inspectors came to see if the work was done. It was, so they gave him a title to the land.

3 comments:

P-Dot said...

What a wonderful thing to know about your family history. Thanks for sharing.

Colleen Dunham said...

Oopsie. That's a fourth-grade student's history. Should have made that more clear.

P-Dot said...

No oopsie, I was writing to your student. I knew that wasn't you.
I know that the oral history is very important to the culture so I was not thinking is was the teacher. :-}